Writing


    Do we write for the forsaken embrace on the desire to express, or for the unmistakable grade? Do words have meaning, or are they just a product of the minds fabrication, waiting to be undertaken?

    I distinctly remember in second grade, our teacher was scolding the class because we didn't write enough on our assignments. This was the first time I ever wrote a full paragraph, and I was mad. She held up one of my peers work, and said that she was the only one that wrote enough, but I didn't understand. She barely wrote anything, she just wrote really big so it looked like a lot! I had maybe written double, but just really small, and for that I was scolded for. After overcoming this (a decade later in that), I now look back and think, what makes a piece of writing good? I've had some teachers in the past where how "good" an essay was, was directly correlated to the quantity of work, but I feel that this is wrong. 


My first instance of learning that writing is more about the content than the quantity was during the poetry unit my freshman year. I was amazed at how these poems were so short, but more so, I was amazed at the fact that these works looked like gibberish before they gave way to a novel's worth of lessons. How could just words on a page give way to a whole new world of thought? How could just one sentence teach me everything I need to know about an author? How could emotions transfer from one person to another, just through ink? This is what fascinated me about writing. You could learn anything you want and express anything you'd like, just as long as you cared enough to try. You could explain the meaning of life, challenge a forsaken topic, or even experiment a thought. You could bring tears to a reader's eye, or joy to their heart, all just from your willingness to put your truth on paper.


We must understand that words only mean what we want them to mean, so don't be afraid to string some letters together and write a sentence or two. For all you know you might end up getting accepted into an ivy league school with your beautifully vulnerable essay, or you might just end up writing a bunch of nonsense, but remember, writing is whatever you make of it, so don't be afraid to just try.

Till next time,
Melodi Yilmaz💕


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why being stressed is actually good for you

Fate vs Freewill

The Improbable Lens of Society vs. Individuality